Saturday

Simple Saturday// Ginger Syrup (used 3 ways)

 I've mentioned before my love for whiskey gingers. It's one of my favorite cocktails. Normally I just use ginger ale, but I decided to broaden my horizons and create a ginger simple syrup. It makes such a huge difference! I'm a total convert. Ginger syrup is so easy to make. There's no reason not to have some on hand all the time. It can stay in the fridge indefinitely and can be used for cocktails, stir frys, over waffles or ice cream. Whatever you can think of! It's delicious. Today I'm sharing three different drinks using ginger syrup.
 First, the simple syrup. I did a 1cup-1cup-1cup ratio of water, sugar, and grated ginger. Make sure you peel the ginger before grating. The easiest way to do this is to take a spoon and just lightly scrape off the outer layer. It should come off pretty easily. From the package above I found that I got about 1 cup of ginger from grating 2 pieces (one big, one small). In a small saucepan, combine the water and sugar over medium/low heat. Stir until the sugar dissolves then add the grated ginger. Simmer the mixture on low for about 30 minutes. Let cool slightly then strain the liquid into a jar. Set ginger pieces aside. Instead of tossing out the ginger, blot it dry between paper towels and dip both sides in sugar. Let it dry out for several hours and then use as a garnish.

Here are 3 simple and delicious drink recipes using the ginger syrup. Adjust the amounts of alcohol and ginger syrup to taste. If we're being honest here, I just eyeballed the amounts of everything and tasted as I went for balance so the measurements are a bit of a guess. It's part of the fun!
(Modified) Tom Collins: 1 part gin, 4 parts club soda, 6-7 tablespoons ginger syrup, a splash of fresh squeezed orange juice, orange zest
Whiskey Ginger: 1 part whiskey, 4 parts club soda, 6-7 tablespoons ginger syrup
Homemade Ginger Ale: 6oz club soda, 8 tablespoons ginger syrup
All of these drinks were pretty exceptional, but my favorite actually turned out to be the (nonalcoholic) homemade ginger ale! It was so refreshing with more of a bite than regular pop and way less sugar. I highly recommend making your own ginger syrup and having a little cocktail party of your own. Slainte!

No comments:

Post a Comment