Monday

Men's Dress Shirt Refashion

 The other day I was fighting a strong urge to go thrifting. I really don't need anything and I know there are things in my closet that I don't wear as it is so adding to it isn't the most responsible thing in the world. So I did the next best thing. I took a piece of clothing I don't wear super frequently and gave it a little DIY love.

I'm that girl who likes to wear over sized menswear pieces. Tie a knot in the bottom, throw on some leggings and boots and I'm good to go. I thrifted this extra large men's dress shirt last year because I liked the colors, but I've only worn it a few times. That makes it the perfect candidate for a restyle project!
This is a simple refashion that has great results. From over sized dress shirt to a more fitted button-down tank, this shirt is now a wardrobe staple.
1. Start with a men's dress shirt.
2. Remove the sleeves and hem the armholes to prevent unraveling.
3. Try on the shirt to determine how much the sides need to be taken in. (I ended up having to take in the seam twice, a total of about 4 inches on each side, but this will differ depending on what shirt you choose and how it fits on you).
4. Sew a new seam on each side, following the shape of the original seam for best results. Trim the excess fabric and then the shirt is ready to wear!




No comments:

Post a Comment