Sunday

Father's Day


Last night, I went to Relay for Life with my parents. The lights in the sky of that picture are lanterns released in loving memory of those that have lost the battle to cancer. My dad's brother, my Uncle Rick, passed away when I was 5 or 6 years old.With 13 years on my dad, and a generally absent father, Rick was both dad and brother to my own father. He was diagnosed with an unusual form of fast-acting cancer. Within two weeks of diagnosis, he was gone. It was devastating and so unfair. It was a week before his 48th birthday.

It was a milestone when my dad reached his 48th birthday. For him, it was a dedication to his brother who lost his life too soon. My dad often shares humorous stories of their escapades growing up. His love for games, competitive nature, and generous heart were all fed by my Uncle Rick.
This Father's Day I am so very thankful for my dad and the man that helped shape him. With love, always.

No comments:

Post a Comment