Saturday

Simple Saturday//Cut-out Dress DIY







This dress was inspired by this dress Tonya (The Moptop) wore. I am by no means a very skilled sewer. I lack the patience and finesse to create anything truly miraculous, but I'm pretty happy with how this dress turned out. I used a gray jersey material which gets pluses for being both comfortable and not fraying. The not fraying is a big deal because it allows me to be lazy and not hem the edges. If I were selling it I'd do a better job, but I rather like the raw edges. I used about 2 yards of fabric. To shape the top, I cut around a loose fitting tank top and then just extended the length of the dress cutting slightly diagonally all the way down the length of the dress to allow for something more drapey and less form-fitting. I wanted this dress to be looser. For the cut outs, I used a ruler and a marker to figure out roughly the size and placement of the shapes, then tied some scrap fabric in between each cut out. I learned the hard way that you have to use a zig zag stitch on jersey before a straight stitch to avoid bunching the stretchy material. But here it is! My second DIY dress. I plan to make a bunch more in different colors, but at more of a tunic length which will be perfect for layering for Fall.