Sunday

Chocolate Chip Cookies, A Quest

Let's talk about chocolate chip cookies. I have a handful of different chocolate chip cookie recipes saved to my food for thought folder on pinterest. My goal is to eventually try them all. My mother is slightly offended I am not content just to use her recipe. While her recipe creates a divine pan cookie, it does not meet the requirements of my ideal chocolate chip cookie. My favorite CCC can usually be found in bakeries and cafes. Thin to medium thickness, crispy edges, soft middle, chocolate in every bite. That is chocolate chip cookie perfection in my book. And if it happens to almost be the size of my face, that's okay too :)  I'm on a quest to find the best recipe!

This first batch of cookies was quite lovely, but not exactly what I'm looking for. This recipe, slightly adapted from here, creates a thick cookie, but with a really lovely chewy texture. I started with this recipe because I happened to have all of the ingredients on hand. I would make these again, but my quest shall continue!

INGREDIENTS (yields approximately 24 cookies)

1 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup margarine
1 1/2 cups light brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
2 eggs
4 tsp vanilla
4 1/3 cups all purpose flour
2T cornstarch
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 bag of semi-sweet chocolate chips

INSTRUCTIONS
1. In a stand mixer, mix butter, margarine, and both sugars until light and fluffy.
2. Add in eggs and vanilla, mixing until well combined.
3. Combine dry ingredients (except for chocolate chips) in a separate bowl.
4. Slowly add the dry ingredients into the wet, mixing on a low speed to incorporate the ingredients without making a mess.
5. Stir in chocolate chips.
6. Use a 1/4 cup measure to scoop out dough and form into balls.
7. Place dough in freezer for 2 hours. This will help the cookies maintain their thickness.
8. Preheat over to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
9. Place frozen cookies onto a greased baking sheet and bake for 15-20 minutes, until the edges are starting to brown.
10. Let the cookies cool for 2 minutes, then remove to a cooling rack.

No comments:

Post a Comment