Friday

Five on Friday// Books

I've always been an avid reader. I've been known to pick up a 300+ page book, find a comfy spot, and read it cover to cover without taking a break. I'm a very involved reader. What book I'm reading tends to impact my mood. Lately I've been inhaling love stories like it's my job, but that isn't all I like to read. Here are some of my very favorite stories.

The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown All of Dan Brown's books are incredible, but The Lost Symbol is on another level. This book is a serious page-turner. It's disturbing and jam packed with action. There were times when I could hardly handle what I was reading, but I couldn't put it down because I needed to know what happened next. Dan Brown is a brilliant writer. If you're looking for something stimulating I highly recommend him.

Love, Rosie by Cecelia Ahern This is a lesser known book by the author of P.S. I Love You, but man is it powerful. It's the only book that has ever made me cry and I've read a lot of books. It's a story of missed opportunities and a painful delay of an inevitable love with a happy ending.

Dandelion Wine by Ray Bradbury I adore this book. Bradbury is a word artist. I love his short stories, but this book is written in a different style and it's not science fiction. It's more of an ode to childhood with beautiful imagery. It's wonderful.

Jewels of the Sun by Nora Roberts I am a bit of a romance novel junkie. I can't help it, I'm a sucker for happy endings. Almost anything by Nora Roberts is my drug of choice, but Jewels of the Sun is the first book of one of her really spectacular trilogies set in Ireland and it is one of my all time favorites. When I need a pick-me-up this is the book I turn to. I've read it at least a dozen times and it never gets old. The main character moves to Ireland, falls in love, and becomes an author. That's basically my life's ambition. Unlike a lot of romance novelists, Nora Roberts is exceptional with character development. I always feel like I'm a part of her stories. If you're looking for a little extra love in your life or just some really awesome books to read, give her a go.

Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte This book is considered a classic and, like most classics, people tend to either love it or hate it. I love it. The beginning is slow and the language can be cumbersome, but the reader is rewarded for sticking with it. The language turns haunting and beautiful. The characters are damaged in so many ways and the love story is painfully real. It's brutal and tragic, but such a great read.

No comments:

Post a Comment